As each round gets closer to Gainesville and the state football championships, there are more stars…
PLAYOFF HEROES – Round No. 2
• Brent Schaeffer, QB, DEERFIELD BEACH: The highly-recruited passer was impressive once again as he threw for 256 yards in a 24-14 win over previously unbeaten Palm Beach Gardens.
• Cedric Miller, QB, MIAMI NORTHWESTERN: Threw for 181 yards and 2 TD as the Bulls head off an impressive Sunrise Piper squad, 28-21.
• Emmanuel Cruz, RB, HOLLYWOOD MCARTHUR: Ran for 146 yards and a TD as the Mustangs won their first ever second round playoff games, 18-5, over Palm Beach Gardens Dwyer.
• Terry Jones, RB, MIAMI CAROL CITY: The gifted sophomore ran for 161 yards and scored a TD in a convincing 30-0 win over Plantation.
• Chad Simpson, RB, MIAMI EDISON: Ran for 170 yards and scored 3 TD in a 32-13 win over Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas.
• Octavious Darby, TE/DE. HOLLYWOOD CHAMINADE-MADONNA: Intercepted a pass and returned it 30 yards for a score in a 49-7 win over Miami Belen Jesuit moving the Lions one strep closer to their second straight state finals appearance.
• Jonathan Garner, QB, DAYTONA BEACH MAINLAND: Completed eight of 14 passes for 136 yards, and it was his 23-yard scoring strike to Travis Parks in the fourth quarter that put the game away in a 21-3 win at Niceville. Five of the junior's passes went to senior Abner Brown, who finished with a game-high 105 receiving yards.
• Kyle Carroll, DT, COCOA: Had 3 sacks, blocked a punt and had 12 tackles in a 45-35 shocker over Glades Central, dealing the Raiders their first loss of the season.
• Omar Haugabrook, QB, GLADES CENTRAL The state's leading passer ended his career with a 385-yard, 4 TD effort in a 45-35 loss to Cocoa.
• Joel Skinner, DB, MERRITT ISLAND: Intercepted a pass in overtine and sends the Mustangs to third round of the playoffs for the first time nearly three dacdes with a 24-21 win over Port St. Lucie Centennial.
• Tim Harris, QB, MIAMI BOOKER T. WASHINGTON: Threw for 206 yards, which included a 74-yard strike to Donovan Johnson and sends the Tornadoes to the third round of the state playoffs for the first time in school history with a 14-9 win over Titusville Astronaut.
• Curtis Francis, RB, GREEN COVE SPRINGS CLAY: R ushed for 198 yards on 25 carries, and a fourth-quarter touchdown to lead Clay over visiting North Marion 27-13.
• Maurice Wells, RB, JACKSONVILL SANDALWOOD: Was held to just 85 yards, but still did enough damage to help his team advance, 7-6, over Lake Mary. Wells surpassed University Christian's Willie McClendon's record of 2,969 rushing yards in 1987. Wells ran his season total to 2,974 yards, gaining 5 yards on his 27th and final carry of the night.
• John Philpot, RB, JACKSONVILLE BOLLES: Gave the defending 2A state champions a boost withg a 49-yard scoring run and paved the way for a 41-14 win over Tallahassee Godby.
• C.J. Spiller, RB, LAKE BUTLER UNION COUNTY: The sophomore running back, had 125 yards, including touchdown runs of 76 and 46 yards, on just seven carries in a shocking 20-14 win over Dixie County.
• Lamar Lewis, ATHLETE, JACKSONVILLE TRINITY CHRISTIAN: The FSU-bound standout returned a kickoff 84-yards to spark the defending 1A state champs to a 19-7 win over Gainesville P.K. Yonge.
• Larry Hicks, RB, IMMOKALEE: Moved his team one step closer to a 2A state finals appearance with a 56-yard run that paved the way for a 36-21 win over Clewiston.
• Jamelle Eugene, RB, NAPLES: Had 187 yards and 2 TD in a 47-3 win over Tarpon Springs East Lake. The Golden Eagles will now play Venice.
• Alonzo Phillips, ATHLETE, VERO BEACH: Returned the opening kickoff for a 94-yard touchdown. With the score tied 7-7 and Palm Beach Lakes driving in the second quarter, Phillips forced a fumble that led to Chris Hiser's go-ahead 28-yard field goal. The Vero Beach senior then recovered his own blocked punt in the end zone in the third quarter to extend the Indians' lead to 17-7. in a 17-14 win over Palm Beach Lakes. Next up for the Indians will be high-powered Deerfield Beach.
• Lester Graham, RB, FORT PIERCE JOHN CARROLL: Rushed for 164 yards and three touchdowns in the first half as the Golden Rams cruised toward a showdown with Pahokee with a 37-14 win over Clearwater Central Catholic.
• Albert Coker, DB, LAKE CITY COLUMBIA:Intercepted Pensacola's Alex Gordon on Columbia's 11-yard line with 6:14 left in the game that sealed a 28-12 win.
• Cortez Gent, QB, CHIEFLAND: Cconnected with junior Leo Sliney for a 1-yard touchdown and ignited his team with 4 straight TD in a 33-14 win over Freeport.
• Larry Freeman, QB, FORT MEADE: The senior ran for 171 yards, passed for 82 more and ran Fort Meade's big-play offense to near perfection leading the Miners to a resounding 49-14 victory over Evangelical Christian of Fort Myers.
• Taylor Jones, QB, LAKELAND EVANGEL: Threw for 251 yards and 2 TD in a 31-6 win over St. Petersburg Northside Christian. That sets up the second meeting of the year with Fort Meade.
• Nick Orsini, QB, MIAMI KILLIAN: Finished with four touchdown passes and 171 yards on 7-of-11 passing in a 45-6 win over Coral Gables.
• Marty Allen and Rodney Jones, RB, DUNNELLON: Combined for 234 yards and 3 TD in a 45-22 win in the Class 3A-Region 2 semifinals at Middleburg High School.
• Demir Boldin, ATHLETE, PAHOKEE: Ran back an interception 30 yards for a touchdown in the first quarter to begin Pahokee's 42-17 rout of Marathon in a Class 2B regional final.
• Larry Taylor, RB, GLADES DAY: Recorded a career-best 234 yards rushing on 19 carries, including a pair of long touchdown runs, as Glades Day eliminated King's Academy 30-7 in the Class A regional semifinals.
• Scott Lane, QB, VENICE: Used the option keeper to score his third touchdown of the game from the 4-yard line with 6:22 left in the game and give his team a 27-22 win over Clearwater.
• Jarred Fayson, QB, TAMPA HILLSBOROUGH: Came through wuth an injury to lead his team to a winning TD with 1:29 left in the game, 26-20, over Winter Springs.
• Isaiah Gwynn, RB, CLEARWATER COUNTRYSIDE: Ran for 127 yards and quarterback Harrison Beck threw three touchdowns, giving him 10 the past three weeks in a 25-7 win over Bradenton Bayshore.
• Brandon McRae, DB, SARASOTA BOOKER: Intercepted a pass and ignited his unbeaten (12-0) team to a convincing 51-0 win over Tampa Robinson.
• Sean Zentmeyer, RB, PLANT CITY DURANT: Ran for 148 yards and a pair of touchdowns, marking the first time the Cougars have reached the region final as they cruised to a 27-13 win over Kissimmee Osceola.
• Desmond Gee, RB, MADISON COUNTY: The sophomore ran for 133 yards and scored 3 TD in a 27-6 win over Crawfordville Wakulla.
• Adarian Smith, RB, FORT WALTON BEACH CHOCTAWHATCHEE: Scored five touchdowns and ran for 121 yards in a 42-35 win over Tallahassee Lincoln.
• Joe Bauserman, QB, TALLAHASSEE LINCOLN: Threw for 352 yards and 3 TD in a 42-35 loss to Fort Walton Beach Choctawhatchee.
• Brett Bowers, S, JACKSONVILLE TRINITY CHRISTIAN: Racked up 13 tackles, four of which were solos in a 19-7 win over Gainesville P.K. Yonge. The win was the 23rd straight for the school.
• Alphonso Smith, RB, STARKE BRADFORD COUNTY: Ran for 161 yards and a TD in a 9-6 win over Umatilla.
SunStateFootball.com Recommended Stories
Dr. Roto Video: Week 8 Strategy
Should you keep Fred Jackson or cut him? Should you cut Zac Stacy or trade him? Each team requires its own strategy based on different circumstances and Dr. Roto does his best to clarify your…Read More
Who's Hot? Week 8: Trevone, Pitt D, Kirby
The stud teams, players, coaches and trends from Week 8Read More
National Anthem Played with a Gun!
Musical targets? Yes, this guy plays the national anthem while shooting musical targets.Read More
The Haunted History of the White House
The Executive Mansion isn't just home to the First Family. It's also home to a variety of...ghosts.Read More
Deer Attacks Man!
Man attempts to rope deer and immediately regrets it.Read More