NC State is looking to 6-A Florida High School powerhouse Deerfield Beach for their next quarterback…
FOOTBALL HEROES – Week No. 9
• Alex Halley, QB MIAMI CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS: Led the Explorers by completing 16 of 20 for 229 yards. On what turned out to be the winning drive, Halley completed five passes for 70 yards -- including three to Danny Garcia for 44 yards in a 14-7 win over Miami Braddock.
• Xavier Thomas, RB, CORAL GABLES: Rushed for 111 yards on 20 carries and scored two key touchdowns in the second quarter as Coral Gables rallied from a 14-2 deficit to beat the Stingarees 22-14 before an estimated crowd of 3,500 at the Orange Bowl.
• Kyle Mackendree, PK, MIAMI PALMETTO: Kicked a 19-yard field goal with 19.2 seconds left to give the Panthers a 17-14 win over Miami Coral Reef.
• Adrian Castro, WR, MIAMI WESTMINSTER CHRISTIAN: Caught 6 balls for 74 yards and a TD as the Warriors rolled to their ninth straight win, 33-7 over Miami Palmer Trinity.
• Mike Gonzalez, RB, HOLLYWOOD CHRISTIAN: The sophomore ran for 169 yards and 2 TD in a 56-0 win over Zion Lutheran. The Eagles are 8-1!
• Desmond Gee, RB, MADISON COUNTY: The sophopmore ran for 136 yards and scored 3 TD in a convincing 34-6 win at Crawfordville Wakulla.
• Brandon Jackson, DB, FORT MYERS DUNBAR: Picked off two passes in a convincing 26-6 win over naples Lely.
• Moises Plancher, RB, NAPLES BARRON COLLIER: The junior ran for 5 TD and 147 yards in a 56-21 win over Cape Coral.
• Javarris James, RB, IMMOKALEE: The junior scored 3 TD and ran for 157 yards in a 46-21 stunner over Clewiston.
• Blake Dorchak, PK, FORT MYERS: The senior kicked a school-record 48-yard field goal and booted a school-best eight extra points in a 59-20 win over Estero.
• Jeremy Battles, RB, LEHIGH: Ran for 244 yards on 21 carries and scored on electric runs of 49 and 76 yards in an 18-14 win over North Fort Myers.
• Chevon Walker, RB, FORT MYERS RIVERDALE: Ran for 260 yards and scored 2 TD as the Red Raiders defeated North Port 35-26 in a District 3A-12 matchup.
• Josh Vogelbach, QB, and Ross Lane, WR: Despit missing the playoffs, the duo hooked up four times for scoring strikes of 16, 62, 40, and 7 yards to lead the Vikings to a 49-6 win over LaBelle. Vogelbach finished the first half 13-of-16 for 232 yards, including 154 yards to Lane.
• Shannon Shelly, RB, VERO BEACH: Had 200 yards rushing on 17 carries with five touchdowns in a 54-0 over Royal Palm Beach.
• Omar Haugabook, QB, GLADES CENTRAL: The state;s leading passer pulled away from his competition as he threw for 416 yards and three touchdowns in a 28-0 win over Fort Pierce Westwood. Haugabook, who was 18-for-34 against the Panthers, is 147-for-245 for theseason for 2,712 yards with 29 touchdowns and just eight interceptions.
• Jimmie Nealy, RB, LAKE REGION: Scored from 10 yards out on the first play in overtime to give the depleted Thunder a 27-21 win over the resurgent Haines City Hornets.
• Jonnie Williams, LB/FB, HAINES CITY: Posted 14 tackles and 1 caused fumble in a 27-21 overtime loss to Lake Region.
• Garrett Wheeler, RB, BELLEVIEW: Ran for 275 yards and 4 Td in a 49-0 win over Lake Weir.
• Greg Carr, WR, SPARR NORTH MARION: The standout senior caught 5 balls for 205 yards and 2 TD in a 36-32 win over Ocala West Port.
• Perry Garrett, RB, GROVELAND SOUTH LAKE: Scored on a 2-yard scoring plunge on third down that gave his team a 27-24 overtime win over Tavares.
• Troy Pashuck, QB, ORLANDO OLYMPIA: Threw two touchdown passes and connected on 10-of-16 passing attempts for 158 yards in a 28-19 win over Winter Garden West Orange and sending the Titans to the playoffs for the first time ever!
• Kevin Harris, RB, WINTER SPRINGS: The junior ran for 144 yards on 17 carries with 2 TD in a 42-14 win over Orlando Timber Creek High.
• Jimmy Caldwell, LB, WINTER SPRINGS: Had 14 tackles and a crucial interception in a 42-14 upset win over Orlando Timber Creek. Jimmy has 110 tackles for the season.
• Vernon Reed, RB, KISSIMMEE OSCEOLA: Had 315 yards rushing and added another 105 yards in kickoff returns to lead the Kowboys to a 40-34 win over rival St. Cloud in the 80th meeting in this series.
• Kyle Harris, QB, LONGWOOD LYMAN: Threw three touchdown passes to lead the Greyhounds to a 27-0 win over Lake Howell.
• Damian Sims, RB, GREENACRES JOHN I. LEONARD: The senior scored three touchdowns as the Lancers won their first district title in 14 years with a 36-27 victory over Santaluces.
• Joe Surratt, FB, PACE: Rushed 27 times for 181 yards and two touchdowns in a 22-19 win over Pesnacola Senior.
• Emery Allen, ATHLETE, MILTON: Blocked two punts and also scored two touchdowns as Milton clinched the District 1-3A title with a 52-6 victory over Pensacola Pine Forest.
• Shawn Cannon, RB, GONZALEZ TATE: In a week where veteran coach Keith Leonard announced he was stepping down, the versatile back made his coach proud as he ran for 180 yards and five touchdowns on 18 carries, and Tate whipped New Orleans Cohen 52-8.
• Patrick Bryant, QB, PENSACOLA CATHOLIC: Threw for 165 yards and 3 Td in a 34-20 win over Walton.
• Sidney Bryant, QB, TAMPA CHAMBERLAIN: Threw for 65 yards, caught three passes and ran for 98 yards in a 23-14 win over Tampa Wharton.
• Isaiah Gwyn, RB, CLEARWATER COUNTRYSIDE: The standout ran for 220 yards and 4 Td in a 33-21 win over Largo.
• Greg Clark, DB, PLANT CITY DURANT: Intercepted quarterback Chris Alexander. Two plays later, Durant fullback Sean Zentmeyer scored, barely wedging himself five yards through a tangle of Riverview Sharks and reaching the ball into the end zone for a 23-17 (3 OT) win.
• Chianta Smith, RB, CRYSTAL RIVER: Ran for 148 and scored 2 TD on just 7 carries in a 49-8 win over Lecanto.
• Jarred Fayson, QB, TAMPA HILLSBOROUGH: Completed 11-of-19 for 167 yards and two touchdowns in a 49-0 win over Gaither.
• Marcello Trigg, QB, TAMPA ROBINSON: Completed 12 of 17 passes for 208 yards and three touchdowns by halftime in a 42-13 win over Freedom.
• Deondrea Lindsay, ATHLETE, ST. PETERSBURG CATHOLIC: Ran for 144 yards and added a 65-yard punt return in a 42-14 win over Tampa Catholic.
• Nathan Toole, RB, HUDSON: Ran for 181 yards and 2 TD in a 56-34 win over Zephyrhills.
• Theo Wilson, QB, DUNEDIN: Threw for 289 yards and 3 TD in a 31-13 win over Tarpon Springs.
• Vince Patterson, RB, ST. PETERSBURG ADMIRAL FARRAGUT: Ran for 225 yards and scored six touchdowns to a 52-14 win over Keswick Christian.
• Terrence Jones, RB, SARASOTA BOOKER: Rushed for three touchdowns and 210yards on 18 carries, but it was his 87-yard kickoffreturn for a score on the second-half kickoff that turned a 29-14 shootout into a laugher for the Tornadoes (9-0 overall, 4-0 in 3A-District 11) in a 61-21 win over St. Petersburg Lakewood.
• Colby Erskin, RB, SEMINOLE: Ran for 166 yards and scored twice on just 7 carries and came up with an interception in a 37-17 win over St. Petersburg.
• C.J. Hunnicutt, DL, BRADENTON MANATEE: Had an interception return for a touchdown, the three drive-stifling sacks, 15 tackles and deflected passes in a 26-14 win over Bradenton Lakewood Ranch.
• Xavier Lee, QB, DAYTONA BEACH SEABREEZE: Completed 27 of 41 passes for 365 yards and three touchdowns in a 30-28 win over Cocoa.
• Kevin O'Brien, QB, FORT PIERCE JOHN CARROLL: Threw for 279 yards and 4 TD in a 34-6 win over Melbourne Central Catholic.
• Mackey Davis, WR, FORT PIERCE JOHN CARROLL: Caught 8 passes for 203 yards and 3 TD in a 34-6 win over Melbourne Central Catholic.
• Danny Verpaele, QB, MERRITT ISLAND: Accounted for 314 yards (242 through the air) in a 41-27 win over Satellite.
• Dwight Sliger, RB, PALM BAY: Rushed 26 times for 198 yards and had a 10-yard TD run in a 28-7 win over Eau Gallie.
• Earl Everett, RB, SEBASTIAN RIVER: Carried the ball only 8 times, but it was good for 163 yards and 2 Td in a 45-0 win over Bayside.
• Tommy Brothers, RB, TITUSVILLE ASTRONAUT: The senior ran for 330 yards in a 28-10 win over Titusville.
• Roy Polite, RB, NEPTUNE BEACH FLETCHER: Rushed for 199 yards to lead Fletcher to a 28-14 win over host White, winning the District 3-5A championship with a 4-0 record in 3-5A play
• Lamar Lewis, RB, JACKSONVILLE TRINITY CHRISTIAN: Had 188 yards and 2 TD in a 37-17 win over Tallahassee North Florida Christian.
• C.J. Spiller, RB, LAKE BUTLER UNION COUNTY: Ran for 258 yards and 5 TD in a 46-26 win over Fort White.
• Jermain Boggan, ATHLETE, JACKSONVILLE FORREST: Scored 2 TD, one on an interception return in a 20-6 win over Jacksonville Lee.
• Joe Merolle, RB, JACKSONVILLE BISHOP KENNY: Rushed for 142 yards on 23 carries and one touchdown in a 26-6 win over Jacksonville Stanton Prep.
• Nolan Carroll, ATHLETE, GREEN COVE SPRINGS CLAY: Returned the opening kickoff 78 yards for a touchdown to spark his team to a 25-20 win over Middleburg.
• George Stripling, RB, JACKSONVILLE ANDREW JACKSON: Ran 44 times for 168 yards and two touchdowns in a 30-17 win over First Coast.
• Maurice Wells, RB, JACKONVILLE SANDALWOOD: Rushed for 252 yards on 32 carries, scoring on runs of 67, 40, 60 and 4 yards in a 46-26 win over Mandarin.
state." • Dan Cross, PK, ST. AUGUSTINE MENENDEZ: Booted a 30-yard field goal with two seconds left to give his team a 27-24 win over Nease.
• Will Oakley, WR, NEASE: Despite losing 27-24 to Menendez, the Alabama-bound standout had seven receptions for 154 yards. Oakley's 1,194 yards broke a Jacksonville-area regular season record held by Providence's Pete Clifford (1,125 yards) in 2001.
• Sam Bickertsaff, ATHLETE, LAKE CITY COLUMBIA: Blocked two punts and Andre Copeland scored two touchdown runs in a 46-6 win over Gainesville Eastside.
• Eddie Brown, ATHLETE, JACKSONVILLE ARLINGTON COUNTRY DAY: Gained 215 all-purpose yards, 107 receiving and 108 on punt returns in a 20-12 win over Tallahassee FAMU.
• Andrew Trowbridge, RB, SOUTH DAYTONA WARNER CHRISTIAN: Had 15 carries for 366 yards and 6 TD in a 47-10 win over Space Coast.
• Paul O'Hara, RB, CROSS CITY DIXIE COUNTY: Had 251 Yards On 27 Carries and 2 TD in a 28-21 win over Taylor County.
• Alex Thompson, QB, GAINESVILLE BUCHHOLZ: Completed 9 passes for 2 TD and no interceptions in a 42-14 win over Orange Park.
• Justin Booker, DB, BARTRAM TRAIL: Came up with the teams' first interception of the year to save the win in the fourth quarter, 14-7, over Gainesville.
• Justin Treece MLB, BARTRAM TRAIL: The senior had 14 tackles in a 14-7 Bartram Trail win over Gainesville. Brings his year total to 133 tackles.
• Alphonso Smith, RB, STRAKE BRADFORD COUNTY: Rushed for 238 yards and 3 TD in a 46-10 win over Keystone Heights.
• Andres Morgan, ATHLETE, HAMILTON COUNTY: Came up with 5 interceptions, returning two for touchdowns in a 39-28 win over Jacksonville Paxon.
• John Lake, LB, ORANGE PARK RIDGEVIEW: Scored the only touchdown on a 70-yard fumble return and Ryan Howell ran in the two-point conversion in an 8-0 win over Fleming Island.
• Stacy Brown, ATHLETE, JACKSONVILLE UNIVERSITY CHRISTIAN: Accounted for 177 yards in a 62-8 win over Miami Northwest Christian.
• Pat Ballew, QB, CALLAHAN WEST NASSAU: Threw for 142 yards qand 2 TD in a 52-21 win over Interlachen 21.
• Jake Owens, QB, JACKSONVILLE WOLFSON: Threw for 345 and 4 TD in a 43-6 win over Terry Parker.
• Logan Hall, QB, LIVE OAK SUWANNEE: Threw for two touchdowns and ran for two more as the Bulldogs clinched a district title with a 34-24 win over Tallahassee Godby.
• Branden Ledbetter, TE/WR, FORT LAUDERDALE ST. THOMAS AQUINAS: Caught 3 passes for 132 yards and 2 TD in a 49-7 win over Oakland Park Northeast.
• Norris Smith, RB, POMPANO BEACH ELY: Ran for 195 yards and 2 TD in a 43-6 win over Coconut Creek.
• Brent Schaeffer, QB, DEERFIELD BEACH: The weekly hero threw for 262 yards and 5 TD in a 40-12 win over Coral Springs Taravella.
• Amod Ned, RB, PEMBROKE PINES FLANAGAN: The junior ran for 138 yards and 2 TD in a 34-14 win over Miramar.
• Emmanuel Cruz, RB, HOLLYWOOD MCARTHUR: Crossed the 1,000 yard mark with 221 yards and 4 TD in a 41-0 win over Fort Lauderdale.
• Leon Pennington, FB, HALLANDALE: The senior pushed the Chargers into the playoffs for the third straight year as he bruised his way for 168 yards on 40 carries in an 11-7 win over Key West.
• DIvory Edgecomb, RB, PLANTATION AMERICAN HERITAGE: The senior ran for 189 yards and a score in a 35-14 loss to Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna.
• Alphonso Smith, ATHLETE, PAHOKEE: One of the state's most versatile athletes helped the No. 1 Blue Devils to their ninth straight win with a 37 yard punt return in a 39-0 win over Coral Springs Charter.
• Dexter Davidson, QB, NORTH BROWARD PREP: The sophomore threw for 270 yards and 3 TD in a 32-0 win over Inlet Grove.
• Conredge Collins, FB, MIAMI MONSIGNOR PACE: Ran for 147 yards and a TD in a 24-0 win over Fort Lauderdale Cardinal Gibbons.
• Bobby Washington, RB, MIAMI KILLIAN: Ran for 155 yards and scored twice in a 21-0 win over South Miami.
• Edward James, PK, MIAMI NORTHWESTERN: Booted a 32 yard field goal in the fourth quarter to give the unbeaten (9-0) Bulls a 23-21 win over Miami Central.
• Gary Cribbs, WR, MIAMI CENTRAL: The outstanding senior caught 8 balls for 3 TD in a 23-21 loss to Miami Northwestern.
• Evans Adonis, WR, SOUTHWEST MIAMI: Caught a TD from Dustin Vaverka that gave the Eagles a 10-8 win over Miami Sunset.
• Ben West, RB, HOMESTEAD: Ran for 144 yards as the Broncos beat rival South Dade, 27-17.
• Anthony Campbell, RB, HIALEAH: Despite being bothered by an injury, he still managed to run for 181 yards and 2 TD – one was on a 100-yard punt return in a 22-19 win over Hialeah Barbara Goleman.
• Nick Echevarria, DL, MIAMI BELEN JESUIT: Came up with 2 fumble recoveries and added 10 tackles in a 24-14 win over Miami Gulliver Prep.
• Joey Infante, RB, MIAMI DADE CHRISTIAN: Had 175 yards and scored 3 TD in a 29-14 win over Miami MacArthur North.
• Ronnie Thomas, RB, SUNRISE PIPER: Scored the winning TD with 1:20 play in a 33-27 win over Lauderdale Lakes Boyd Anderson.
• Javier Arbolaez, RB, TAVERNIER CORAL SHORES: The senior senior rushed for 258 yards on in a 46-28 win over Miami Archbishop Carroll. He now has 1,040 yards on the season.
• Chris Strothers, RB, MIAMI CAROL CITY: Had 153 yards and scored 2 TD in a 28-0 win over North Miami Beach.
• Gregory Redding, DB, MIAMI CAROL CITY: Returned an interception 35 yards for a score in a 28-0 win over North Miami Beach.
• Kevin Smith, RB, MIAMI SOUTHRIDGE: Ran for 188 yards and 2 TD in a 35-0 win over Miami Felix Varela.
• Brent Hughes, WR, MIAMI EDISON: Caught 2 balls for 94 yards and a TD in a 20-7 win over Miami Norland to wrap up the district title.
• Cory Christopher, QB, MIAMI AMERICAN: Accounted for 155 yards and 2 TD in a 30-13 win over Miami Coral Park.
• Felix Collazo, RB, MIAMI DR. MICHAEL KROP: Ran for 173 yards and 2 TD in a 24-12 win over North Miami.
• Michael Johnson, DB, MIAMI JACKSON: Came up with a key pass deflection in the end zone to preserve a 28-20 win over Miami Beach.
• Kevin Thomas, RB, MIAMI BAY POINT: Ran for 165 yards and 2 TD in a 26-7 win over Florida Christian.
• Josh Kalb, RB, DAVIE WESTERN: The senior ran for 179 yards and scored 3 TD as the Wildcats won their first ever district title, 21-15, over Weston Cypress Bay.
• Adam West, RB, FORT LAUDERDALE DILLARD: Scored 2 TD and kept the Panthers' hopes for a playoff spot alive with a 24-7 win over Fort Lauderdale Stranahan.
• Bill Clancy, RB, PARKLAND DOUGLAS: Ran for 183 yards and 2 TD in a 42-17 win over rival Coral Springs.
• Brian Rabb, RB, DAVIE NOVA: Scored twice and added 159 yards in a 34-12 win over Archbishop McCarthy.
• Gino Dorvil, RB, CORAL SPRINGS CHRISTIAN: Scored the game-winner in overtime to beat Highlands Christian 20-14. He added 135 yards for the Crusaders.
• Carl Volny, RB, PEMBROKE PINES CHARTER: The sophomore ran for 197 yards and 4 TD in a 38-0 win over Coconut Creek Monarch.
• Anthony Ruckers, RB, BROWARD CHRISTIAN: Accounted for 144 yards and 2 TD in a 29-7 win over Boca raton Christian.
• Ritnher Jean Baptiste, RB, COOPER CITY: The talented sophomore scored the winning touchdown as the Cowboys advanced to the playoffs with a 14-8 win over Hollywood South Broward.
• Stoney Woodson, QB, TAMPA MIDDLETON: Ran in a TD from seven yards out to spark his team to a 16-0 win over Tampa Blake.The win was the first in a varsity game between the two schools since 1970. The Middleton varsity beat Blake's junior varsity last year in the revival of the rivalry between the former all-black schools, which were closed because of integration in 1971.
• Phillip Ingram, DB, PIERSON TAYLOR: Leaped high to intercept a pass on the goal line as time expired to give his team a 20-14 victory over Crescent City.
• Vince Wilson, RB, DAYTONA BEACH MAINLAND: Ran for 202 yards and scored 3 TD in a convincing 36-7 win over Flagler Palm Coast and their fourth consecutive championship. It was their 22nd-straight district win.
• Riley Bell, QB, TALLAHASSEE LEON: Threw for 169 yards on 16 completions in a 21-14 win over Lynn Haven Mosley.
• James Canter, DL, BOCA RATON OLYMPIC HEIGHTS: Registered 4 sacks and 12 tackles to lead the Lions to a 27-0 win against Lake Worth.
SunStateFootball.com Recommended Stories
Peyton Manning Breaks All-Time TD Record
Peyton Manning emerged alone atop yet another category in the NFL record book tonight vs the Niners, as he tossed touchdown #509 under the national spotlight of Sunday Night Football (NBC). (Photo…Read More
LenDale White escorted out of the Coliseum
Former USC and NFL running back LenDale White added tons of drama to what was a relatively quiet Homecoming weekend for the Trojans.Read More
AP Poll Week Eight
Mississippi State stays No. 1 after the bye week and Florida State is still No. 2 this week...Read More
5 Tips for Deer Hunting Over Feeders
As an avid whitetail enthusiast sitting in a blind watching over a wildlife feeder, I believe you can benefit from these tipsRead More
Keith “Catman” Sutton’s guide to catching blue catfish all year long.Read More