When Homestead (Fla.) South Dade standout running back Charlie Jones began his senior season last…
FOOTBALL HEROES – Week No. 3
• Bobby Washington, RB, MIAMI KILLIAN: Off to a slow start this season, had a big game, rushing 31 times for 180 yards and two touchdowns in a 21-3 win over Columbus.
• Terry Perry, RB, MIAMI NORTHWESTERN: Rushed 21 times for 230 yards and four touchdowns to lead the Bulls past North Miami, 40-6.
• Erick Baez, WR, FORT LAUDERDALE PINE CREST: The junior touched the ball six times and scored three touchdowns in a 42-0 win over Coconut Creek Monarch.
• THE ULTIMATE HEROES: Wayne Campbell Sr. and Wayne Campbell Jr, PUNTA GORDA CHARLOTTE: The Charlotte Tarpons and quarterback Wayne Campbell Jr. took the field Friday with much more than the North Port Bobcats on their minds.
Earlier in the day, Campbell's father — first-year offensive line coach Wayne Campbell Sr. — died at Charlotte Regional Medical Center after a sudden illness.
Led by the passing of Wayne Campbell Jr., who completed 13-of-20 passes for 247 yards and three touchdowns, the Tarpons topped North Port 49-15 in the first meeting between the two schools.
• OCALA WEST PORT QB BOBBY KISSANE AND DAYTONA BEACH SEABREEZE QB XAVIER LEE HAD A RECORD -SETTING NIGHT IN A THRILLING 53-53 WIN BY WEST PORT:
Lee accounted for 559 yards of offense. He completed 20 of 42 passes for 428 yards, and ran for 131 yards. Field, meanwhile, hauled in 10 receptions for 267 yards and TDs covering 35, 7, 64 and 52.
The Wolf Pack racked up some massive totals as well, including 422 yards of total rushing. Kissane threw for 274 yards, and Brandon Crews and Tyree Pinder had 100-yard rushing games.
• Vince Wilson, RB, DAYTONA BEACH MAINLAND: The senior ran for 172 yards and 2 TD in a 28-0 win over Deltona. The Bucs are 3-0.
• Philip Ingram, RB, PIERSON TAYLOR: Was a one-man wrecking crew, scoring six touchdowns and powering his team to a 67-36 triumph over South Daytona Beach Warner Christian. His five offensive scores came on long jaunts -- runs of 32, 34, 61, 35 and 20 yards.
• John Reid Theriac, RB, and John Curtis, RB, COCOA BEACH: Had two touchdowns apiece and 277 yards in a 43-0 win over Lakeland Santa Fe 43-0.
• Vernon Reed, RB, KISSIMMEE OSCEOLA: Ran for 253 yards and 3 TD in a 39-13 win over Eay Gallie.
• Rashaun Williams, RB, ROCKLEDGE: Scooted 70 yards for a score to seal a 31-0 win over Orlando Jones.
• Andy Detwiler, PK, PALM BAY BAYSIDE: The sophomore kicked a 40-yard field goal with 11 seconds left, giving his team a thrilling 24-21 victory over pesky Satellite Beach.
• Xavier Stinson, RB,. MELBOURNE CENTRAL CATHOLIC: Ran for 173 yards and a TD in a 27-8 win over Space Coast.
• John Tyler Findley, PK, FORT MYERS CYPRESS LAKE: Hit both his field goal attempts late in the fourth quarter against Estero, the second from 23 yards out with just 19 seconds to play, lifting the Panthers over the Wildcats 18-17 in a District 4A-12 game.
• Alphonso Cunningham, RB, FROSTPROOF: Dashed his way for 144 yards and 3 TD in a 28-6 win over Moore Haven.
• Paul O'Hara, RB, CROSS CITY DIXIE COUNTY: The talented junior ran for 148 yards and 2 TD in a tough 18-10 win over Union County.
• Marcus Okobi, FB, LAKELAND KATHLEEN: Ran for 223 yards and 2 TD in a 21-13 win over Evangel Christian.
• Moises Plancher, RB, William Scrivens, RB, NAPLES BARRON COLLIER: Plancher ran for 172 yards and a couple of touchdowns, and Scrivens came on and picked up 152 yards and scored three times in the Cougars' 40-6 rout of Port Charlotte.
• Marty Allen, RB, DUNNELLON: Ran for 148 yards and 2 TD in a 29-28 win over Ocala Forest.
• Daryl Ely, ATHLETE, WINTER SPRING: The junior returned a fumble 18 yards for a touchdown in a 47-0 win over Orlando Freedom. Ely, who missed most of last season with a broken collarbone, also had punt returns of 74 and 70 yards for touchdowns in the second half.
• Joe Burnett, RB, EUSTIS: Ran for 201 yards in a 56-28 win over Orlando Bishop Moore.
• McKinson Souverain, QB, DELRAY BEACH ATLANTIC: Finished with 133 yards rushing on nine carries and was 12-of-20 passing for 247 yards in a 43-15 win over Martin County.
• Omat Haugabrook, QB, GLADES CENTRAL: Passed for 362 yards and three touchdowns in a 27-20 win over Cardinal Newman.
• Clayton Branningan, LB, AMERICAN HERITAGE DELRAY BEACH: Intercepted a pass and returned it for a score to spark his team to a thrilling 25-24 win over Glades Day.
• Larry Taylor, RB, GLADES DAY: Ran for 171 yards and 3 TD in a 25-24 loss to American Heritage Delray Beach.
• Patrick Hess, RB, Navarre: Had 160 yards on 5 carries and 2 TDS while Chris Hartke had 96 yards on 9 carries and 2 TD in a 42-3 win over Pensacola Woodham.
• Ty Story, ATHLETE, GULF BREEZE: A lifetime soccer player, competing only in his second game ever returned a punt for 70 yards and a TD in an 11-6 upset of Pensacola Pine Forest.
• Mike Smith, TALLAHASSEE RICKARDS: Had 196 yards Rushing and two TD in a 21-14 loss to Fort Walton Beach.
• Danny Royster and Devon Freeman, RB, NICEVILLE: Combined for 208 yards and 3 TD in a 47-20 win over Crestview.
• Adrian Smith, RB, FORT WALTON BEACH CHOCTAWHATCHEE: Had 244 yards and WR D.J. Hall had 3 TD in a 42-16 win over Bryant of Tuscaloosa.
• Zack Bryant, RB, FREEPORT: Had 9 carries for 179 and 2 touchdowns in a 63-12 win over Baker.
• Patrick Bryant, QB, PENSACOLA CATHOLIC: Threw for 4 TD in a 34-0 win over Tallahassee FAMU.
• Hunter Floyd, RB, JAY: Ran for 161 yards and 3 TD in a 25-0 win over West Florida Tech.
• Alex Gordon, QB, PENSACOLA SENIOR: Threw for 333 yards and 3 TD and ran for 60 more in a 32-16 win over Gonzalez Tate.
• Mickey Lindsey, HEAD COACH, PACE: Recorded his 100th win with the Patriots in a 28-27 thriller over Pensacola Washington.
• Tyrone McKenzie, RB, TAMPA RIVERVIEW: Had 236 yards and 2 TD in a 42-21 win over Plant City.
• Demetrius McCray, RB, and Kalvin Bailey, RB, SEFFNER ARMWOOD: The juniors combined for 355 yards in a 34-0 win over Tampa Blake. McCray had 166 yards rushing, Bailey 141.
• Luke Easterling, QB, TAMPA TEMPLE HEIGHTS CHRISTIAN: Threw for 170 yards and three touchdowns.in a 43-6 win over Oviedo Master's Academy.
• Doc Marshall, RB, TAMPA GAITHER: Ran for 268 yards and 3 TD in a 30-28 win over Tampa King.
• Sidney Bryant, QB, TAMPA CHAMBERLAIN: The senior accounted for 210 yards in a 35-12 win over Tampa Sickles.
• Dominic Grooms, QB, TAMPA BAY TECH: Passed for 189 yards and senior Maurice Crum scored on runs of 16 and 21 yards in a 28-18 win over Tampa Freedom.
• Deondra Lindsey, ATHLETE, ST. PETERSBURG CATHOLIC: Scored on a 79-yard punt return and had a 54-yard kickoff return to set up his own game-tying touchdown in a 21-20 win over Avon Park.
• Stanford Gulley, RB, PALM HARBOR UNIVERSITY: Ran for 181 yards in a 19-7 win over Clearwater.
• Marcus Platt, ATHLETE, VENICE: Intercepted a West pass intended for Hampton Harrison near the goal line in a 7-3 win over Bradenton Manatee.
• Ross Lane, WR, and Josh Vogelbach, QB, FORT MYERS BISHOP VEROT: Lane finished with eight catches for 257 yards and three touchdowns and Vogelbach completed 14-of-24 passes for 356 yards in a 26-6 win over Bradenton Lakewood Ranch.
• Darius Burgess, QB, SOUTH MIAMI: Accounted for 191 yards and 3 TD in a 49-0 win over Southwest Miami.
• Kenneth Phillips, S, MIAMI CAROL CITY: FloridaKids' No. 1 junior prospect was at it again as he he picked off 3 passes in a 27-5 win over Miami Central.
• MIAMI BOOKER T. WASHINGTON: The Tornadoes defense limited the Vikings to minus 15 yards on the ground in a 9-0 win.
• Darrell Holt, ATHLETE, MIAMI AMERICAN: Returned the second half kickoff 91 yards for a score to ignite the Patriots to a 35-3 win over Barbara Goleman.
• E.J. Biggers, QB, NORTH MIAMI BEACH: The junior threw for 240 yards and a TD in a 34-12 win over Ives Estate Dr. Michael Krop.
• Jervonte Jackson, DL, NORTH MIAMI BEACH: The senior came up with 10 tackles and 3 sacks in a 34-12 win over Ives Estate Dr. Michael Krop.
• Anthony Corral, DB, MIAMI DADE CHRISTIAN: Recovered 2 fumbles, returning one for a score and coming up with 11 tackles in a 16-9 win over Florida Christian.
• J.C. GARRIDO, QB, CORAL GABLES: Ignited the Cavaliers with a 296-yard passing performance, which included 3 TD passes, two going to Xavier Thomas, who caught five balls for 155 yards in a 33-8 win over Miami Coral Park.
• Tavares Kendrick, QB, Homestead: The senior completed 15 passes for 262 yards and 2 TD in a 32-6 win over Miami Jackson.
• Mike Jardin, QB, MIAMI BEACH: Accounted for 185 yards as the Hi Tides moved to 3-0 with a thrilling 27-26 win over Miami Springs.
• Gartrell Shavers, RB, MIAMI SPRINGS: The talented senior ran for 169 yards and threw a 76-yard scoring pass in a 27-26 loss to Miami Beach.
• Norris Smith, RB, POMPANO BEACH ELY: The senior only had 96 yards rushing, but came up big with 4 TD in an impressive 35-14 win over Deerfield Beach.
• Emmanuel Cruz, RB, HOLLYWOOD MCARTHUR: The senior ran for 166 yards and a TD in a 15-6 win over rival Hollywood South Broward.
• Chris DeCaro, RB, WESTON CYPRESS BAY: Ran for a school record 305 yards and 2 TD in a 34-26 win over Davie Nova.
• Mike Greco, QB, FORT LAUDERDALE CARDINAL GIBBONS: Threw for 199 yards in an 18-5 loss to Hallandale.
• Julius Mincey, WR, SUNRISE PIPER: Caught 9 balls for 125 yards and a TD in a 30-27 win over Fort Lauderdale Stranahan.
• Anthony Reddick, DB, FORT LAUDERDALE ST. THOMAS AQUINAS: One of the top players in the state returned an interception for a score as the Raiders rolled to a 35-14 win over Pembroke Pines Flanagan.
• Amod Ned, RB, PEMBROKE PINES FLANAGAN: Ran for 174 yards and a TD in a 35-14 loss to St. Thomas Aquinas.
• Brandon Serra, DB, PARKLAND DOUGLAS: Returned an interception for a score to spark the 3-0 Eagles to a 38-0 win over Coral Springs Taravella.
• Michael Moore, WR, NORTH BROWARD PREP: Came up big with 9 catches for 195 yards in a 44-27 loss to Coral Springs Christian.
• CHAMINADE-MADONNA: For the third consecutive week, the defending 2A state runnerups won on hostile turf as the Lions clipped Vero Beach in an impressive 35-14 win. Chaminade had beaten Clewiston and Fort Myers Bishop Verot to start the year out.
• Curtis Francis, RB, GREEN COVE SPRINGS CLAY: Ran for 154 yards on 16 carries and scored two touchdowns in a 34-7 win over Orange Park.
• Tyson Bishop, QB, JACKSONVILLE ENGLEWOOD: Threw for 167 yards and added another 105 yards on the ground in a 42-7 win over Jacksonville Terry Parker.
• Chris Rayford, RB, HAMILTON COUNTY: Accounted for 207 yards in a 27-7 win over Jacksonville Epsicopal.
• Zach Whittenburg, DB, HILLIARD: Returned 2 interceptions for touchdowns in a 20-6 win over Trenton.
• Tyrone Weatherspoon, ATHLETE, MADISON COUNTY: Caught a 24-yard touchdown pass, then picked off Suwannee's Logan Hall in the end zone in a 17-14 win over Live Oak Suwannee.
• Marquis Powell, RB, MADISON COUNTY: Ran for 149 yards and one touchdown in a 17-14 win over Live Oak Suwannee.
• Bernard Williams, RB, LIVE OAK SUWANNEE: Ran for 181 yards and one touchdown in a 17-14 loss to Madison County.
• Marquice King, RB, ST. AUGUSTINE PEDRO MENENDEZ: Had a 7-yard scoring run with 25 seconds left in a thrilling 28-21 win over Jacksonville Fleming Island.
• Charles Owens, ATHLETE, JACKSONVILLE RAINES: Recovered quarterback Dwight Patterson's fumble at the Raines goal line to preserve a 20-17 victory over Jacksonville First Coast.
• Gregory Black, RB, JACKSONVILLE RIBAULT: Ran for 190 yards on only 12 carries in a 34-14 win over Fernandina Beach.
• Clarence Denmark, ATHLETE, JACKSONVILLE LEE: Led the Generals' special-teams play with a 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown, then opened the second quarter with a 34-yard interception return for his second score in a 30-23 win over Bishop Kenny.
• Kellen Lewis, QB, Tony Carter, ATHLETE, JACKSONVILLE MANDARIN: With 3:58 left in the game, Lewis threw a 20-yard pass to Carter to seal a 17-14 win over rival Jacksonville Andrew Jackson.
• Maurice Wells, RB. JACKSONVILLE SANDALWOOD: Ran for 207 yards on 38 carries in a 27-13 loss to Neptune Beach Fletcher.
• Drew Steinmetz, FB, JACKSONVILLE TRINITY CHRISTIAN: Ran for 2 TD and 148 yards in a 43-21 win over Arlington Country Day.
• B.J. Merriweather, QB, JACKSONVILLE ARLINGTON COUNTRY DAY: Passed for 218 yards and two touchdownsin a 43-21 win to top-rated Jacksonville Trinity Christian.
• JOSEPH SINGLETON, QB, JACKSONVILLE FORREST: Passed for 242 yards and connected with Carlos Green on a 20-yard touchdown pass with less than five minutes remaining in a 12-10 win over Baker County.
• APOPKA DEFENSE: Held West Orange to 48 yards in a 14-0 victory. Apopka defense was led by it's line backer core of Josh Mott 11 tackles 1 fumble recovery, Quentin Taylor 10 tackles and Kadu Swift 9 tackles. Quentin Taylor also had 12 carries for 80 yards. Tamaki Jackson scored both touchdowns for the Darters on runs of 42 and 4 yds.
• Justin Treece, LB, BARTRAM TRAIL: Had 15 tackles (9 solos and 6 assists) in a 34-0 loss to St. Augustine. The senior has 52 tackles in 3.
• Jonnie Williams, LB/FB, HAINES CITY: Had 21 tackles including 3 for a loss in a 23-9 setback against Auburndale. Williams' 3 game season total now stands at: 61 tackles, 8 for a loss, and 1 caused fumble.
• Willie Reed, RB, CORAL SPRINGS: Ran for 246 yards and 3 TD in a 21-10 win over Coconut Creek.
• Francis Donahue, RB, POMPANO BEACH HIGHLANDS CHRISTIAN: Had 151 yards and 1 TD, and on defense recorded 8 tackles in a 35-6 win over Boca Raton Christian.
• MIAMI EDISON DEFENSE: Stood tall by limiting Miami Monsignor Pace to just 36 total yards in a 7-0 win. The Red Raiders's only score came in the second quarter on a 6-yard run by Demerick Chancellor.
• Anthony Campbell, RB, HIALEAH: The senior ran for 177 and scred 2 TD in a 21-0 win over rival Hialeah Miami Lakes.
• Peter Medrano, RB, MIAMI BRADDOCK: The senior carried the ball 42 times for 250 yards and a TD in a 17-16 win over Miami Senior High.
• MIAMI PALMETTO DEFENSE: The surprising (3-0) Panthers limited the potent South Dade offensive attack to just 72 total yards in a 25-3 win. Charlie Jones had just 36 yards on 12 carries.
• Lorenzo Ferguson and Erick Jackson, ATHLETES, MIAMI SOUTHRIDGE: Both recoevered fumbles, Jackson returning his for a score in a 48-21 win over Miami Coral Reef. The Spartans forced five turnovers.
• Robert Sanchez, DB, MIAMI FELIX VARALA: Returned an interception 60 yards for a score to spark the surprising (3-0) Vipers to a 32-20 win over Miami Sunset.
• Will Rowan, RB/DB, SNEADS: Accounted for over 100 yards on offense and recorded 13 tackles on defense in a 14-0 win over Munroe.
• Ryan McClure, DL, Munroe: Came up with 13 tackles and a fumble recovery in a 14-0 loss to Sneads.
• Dillon Rogers, QB, MIDDLEBURG: Completed a 21-yard pass to Casey McDonald and a 49-yard touchdown strike to Willie Herring in a 37-6 win over Gainesville Eastside.
• Philip Murphy, OLB, COOPER CITY: Had 8 tackles, 1 Sack, and 1 fumble recovery in a 42-6 win over Miramar Everglades. he now has 30 tackles in three games.
SunStateFootball.com Recommended Stories
Week 8: Game Time Decisions
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Rob Warner posts his big-name players to watch as they heal at the last minute before the games begin on Sunday. Philadelphia Eagles RB Darren Sproles (pictured…Read More
NFL Week 8: Previews and Predictions
Highly opinionated previews of every game. Are you ready for some insider info?Read More
BOMBS AWAY: ISIS BEFORE AND AFTER AIRSTRIKE
Photographer Bulent Kilic captured these amazing images of ISIS members who were on the very wrong end of an allied bombing in Turkey.Read More
TBT: Pumpkin Carving With A Handgun
While many hunters are focused on pursuing big game in late October, it’s also time to make sure you’re ready for Halloween, and specifically trick-or-treaters. In this throwback Thursday video,…Read More
Watch: Sailfish Goes Psycho!
Check out this classic video of Dan Larson battling an acrobatic sailfish on a trip to the world-famous Tropic Star Lodge in Panama.Read More